51 Shakti Peeths are very important and ancient Hindu religious pilgrims. The story of formation of these shakti peeths comes in Purans as
Devi Parvati in her last birth as the daughter of Daksha was married to Lord shiva. Once her father daksha was promoted to head of Prajapati by lord Brahaman ( his father). He got too much pride and hosted a Yagya, in which he didn’t invite his daughter Sati and Lord Shiva as he was having grievences with Lord Shiva. When Sati saw the Planes going in the sky she asked her husband Lord Shiva about the planes. Lord Shiva told her all the story.
She became very happy and sought his permission to attend the yagya. Lord shiva refused and said, “He has not invited us; so we must not go. Although we can go to our parents home with out invitation,yet if some one has rivalery or grievences with us , we must not go there.
Sati was not satisfied with all this and was adamond to go there. Seeing her so much interest Lord Shiva allowed her to go and sent her ganas with her.
When Sati reached there she saw that there is no part of lord shiva in the Yagya and she was greeted by anyone except mother. Her sisters met her very tauntingly laughing. She felt very much insulted not seeing the part of Lord shiva in the Yagya and left her Prana (died by Yoga). The ganas of Lord Shiva started destroying the yagya. The purodha of the yagya Rishi Bhirigu saved the yagya by creating Kritika, and kritika shunted out all the ganas of lord Shiva and they went to lord shiva and told him the whole story.
Lord Shiva became very violent and took his Mahakal posture. He destroyed the whole Yagya and slaughtered the head of Daksha. But his anger was not still pacified. He lifted the dead body of Devi Parvati on his shoulder and started Tandav.
The whole of the world became terrified and all the gods went to Lord Vishnu and sought his help. Vishnu went there and he was also not able to pacify Lord Shiva. He then ordered His Chakra and chakra started chopping the parts of the dead body of Sati one by one.
When nothing was left on the shoulder of Lord Shiva he was also pacified. There were 51 parts in total made of the dead body and the places where these parts of body fell are recognized as the Shakti Peeths.
Below is the list of 51 shakti peeths. The Name is in bold letter and the part of the body which fell on the Ground is marked in red.
1. Mansa Shakti-Peeth, Mount Kailash, Mansarovar, stone rock near Tibet- Right hand- Dakshayani shakti-peeth and Amar.
2. Biraj, Utkal, Orisa- Naval- Vimla and Jagannath.
3. Banks of Gandika river, Pokhra, Muktinath temple of Nepal- Head- Gandaki Chandi shakti-peeth and Chakrapani.
4. Bahula, banks of river Ajay at Ketugram, 8km from Katua, Burdwan, West Bengal- Left hand- Devi Bahula shakti-peeth and Bhiruk.
5. Ujjaini shakti-peeth , Burdwan from Guskur station, 16km from West Bengal- Right wrist- Mangal Chandika shakti-peeth and Kapilambar.
6. Matabhadi mountain peak near Radhakishorpur village, Udaipur, Tripura- Right leg- Tripur Sundari shakti-peeth and Tripuresh.
7. Chatral, Chandranath mountan peak near Sita Kund station, Chintagong, Bangladesh- Right arm-Bhawani shakti-peeth and Chandrashekar.
8. Trisotra, Salbadhi village, Boda Mandal, Jalpaiguri, West Bengal- Left leg- Bhraamari shakti-peeth and Ambar
9. Kamagiri, kamakhya, Neelanchal mountain near Guwahati, Assam- Genitals- Kamakhya shakti-peeth and Umanand
10. Jugaadya, Kheergram, Burdwan, West Bengal- (Right leg) big toe, Jugaadya and Ksheer Khandak shakti-peeth .
11. Kali Peeth, Kali Ghat- Right toe- Kalika shakti-peeth and Nakuleshwar
12. Jayanti, Kalajor Baurbhag village, Khasi mountain, Jayantiya Pargana, Sylhet, Bangladesh- Left thigh- Jayanti and Kramadishwar
13. Kirit, Kiritkon Gram, Lal Bagh court road station, Mushirdabad, 3km from West Bengal- Crown- Vimla and Sanwart.
14. Manikanika Ghat, Kashi, Varansi, Uttar Pradesh- Earring- Vishalakshi & Manikarni and Kalbhairav.
15. Kanyashram, Bhadrkali temple, Kumari temple, Tamil Nadu- Back - Sarvani and Nimish
16. Kurukshetra, Haryana - Ankle bone - Savitri and Sthanu
17. Manibandh, Gayatri mountain near Pushkar, Ajmer, Rajhstan - two bracelets- Gayatri and Sarvanand.
18. Shri Shail, Jainpur village, 3km north-east of Sylhet town, Bangladesh- Neck- Mahalakshmi and Sambaranand.
19. Hingula or Hinglaj, karachi, 125km from Pakistan in north-east - Bramharandhra (Part of the head)- Kottari and Bhimlochan
20. Shakr rare, Krachi, Sukkar station near Pakistan,also,Nanina Devi temple, Bilaspur -Eyes- Mahishmardini and krodhish
21. Sugandha, Shikarpur in Bangladesh, 20km from Batisal, on the banks of Sonda river - Nose- Sugandha and Trayambak
22. Amarnath, Pahalgam, Kashmir - Throat- Mahamaya and Trisandhyeshwar
23. Jawala Ji, Kangda, himachal Pradesh - Tongue-Siddhida (Ambika) and Unmatta Bhairav
24. Jalandar, Devi lake near Chavani station in Punjab- Left breast- Tripurmalini shakti-peeth and Bhisan
25. Baidyanath Dham, Devoghar, Jharkand- Heart- Jayadurga and Baidyanath
26. Gujyeshwari temple, Nepal, near Pashupatinath temple - Both knees- Mahashira and Kapali
27. Prayag, Sangam, Allahbad, Uttar Pradesh- Fingers of hand- Lalita and Bhav
28. Kanchi, on banks of Kopai river, 4km in north-east, Bolapur station, Birbhum, West Bengal- Bone- Devgarbha and Ruru.
29. Kamlaghav, cave near banks of Sone river, Amarkantak, madhya Pradesh - Left buttock- Kali and Asitang.
30. Shondesh, Amarkantak, at the origin of Narmada, Madhya Pradesh- Right buttock- Narmada and Bhadrasen.
31. Ramagiri, Chitrakut, Jhasi-Manikpur railway line, Uttar Pradesh- Right breast- Shivani and Chanda
32. Vrindavan, Bhuteshwar Mahadev temple, near Mathura, Uttar Pradesh- Ringlets of hair- Uma and Bhutesh
33. Shuchi, Shuchitirtham Shiva temple, 11km Kanyakumari- Tiruvanatpuram path, Tamil Nadu -Upper teeth- Narayani and Sanhar.
34. Panchsagar, exact place not known - Bottom teeth- Varahi and Maharudra.
35. Kartoyatt, Bhawanipur village, 28km from Sherpur to Bagura station, Bangladesh -Left anklet - Arpana and Vaman
36. Shri Parvat, Ladak, Kashmir,also, Shri Shailam, Kurnul, Andra Pradesh - Right anklet- Shrisundari and Sundaranand
37. Vibhash, Tamluk, eastern Modinipur, West Bengal- Left ankle- Kapalini(Bhimarupa and Sarvanand
38. Prabhas, 4km Veraval station, near Somnath temple, Junagad, Gurajat- Stomach-Chandrabhaga and Vakratund
39. Bhairavapravta at Bhairav hills, banks of Shipra river, Ujjaini, Madhya pradesh- Upper lip- Avanti and Lambkarna.
40. Jansthan, Godivari river Ghati, Nasik, Maharashtra- Chin- Bhramari and Vikritaksh
41. Sarvshail/Godivaritir, Kotilingeshwar temple, Godivari river banks, Rajamudri, Andra Pradesh -Cheeks-Rakini or Vishwehwari and (Vatsnabh or Dandpani)
42. Birat, near Bharatpur, Rajasthan- Left toes- (Ambika) and (Amriteshwar)
43. Ratnawali, banks or river Ratnakr, Khanakul-Krishna Nagar, Hugli, West Bengal- Right Shoulder- Kumari and Shiva
44. Mithila, near Janakpur railway station, Indian and Nepal border- Left Shoulder- Uma and Mahodar)
45. Nahati, near Nalhati station, Birbhum, West Bengal -Bone of leg- Kalika Devi and Yogesh
46. Karnat, exact place is unknown- Ears- Jayadurga and Abhiru
47. Vakreshwar, banks of river Paphar, 7km Dubrajpur Station, Birbhum, West Bengal-Portion between the eyebrows- Mahismardinia and Vakranath
48. Yashor, Ishwarpuri, Khulna district, Bangladesh-Palms of hands and soles of the feet- Jashoreshwari and Chanda
49. Attahas, 2km Labhpur station, Bhirbhum , West Bengal -Lips-Phullara and Vishvesh
50. Nadipur,banyan tree in boundari wall, Sainthia railway station, Birbhum district, West Bengal- Neckalce-Nandini and Nandikeshwar
51. Lanka, exact place is unknown-Anklet-Indrakshi and Rakshaseshwara